Photo: Singers rehearse for a Choral Festival performance in 2019
Music at Waltham St Lawrence Church
Waltham St Lawrence Church has always had a keen focus on music, using traditional and contemporary music in our services, and hosting various musical events and concerts.
- The Church Choir sings for the main services most Sunday morning (and Choral Evensong on first Sundays). It provides an anthem as well as supporting the congregational singing of hymns etc.
Weddings and Funerals benefit hugely from the inclusion of the choir, to bolster the singing and provide a suitable muscial interlude e.g. during the signing of the registers.
The choir visits a Cathedral for a weekend each year to sing services while the cathedral choir is on holiday.
- WSL Junior Choir sings a song at the All Age Service on the first Sunday of the month, and sometimes at the St Lawrence Cafe in the hall on third Sundays.
- WSL Virtual Voices - our lockdown choir - recorded lots of music during 2020-21 and these are available on two CD albums (sold in aid of charity).
- Special occasions in the year are marked by musical events, such as the annual Carol Service - and at Harvest Festival and Remembrance the WSL Silver Band kindly come and play.
- Concerts of various kinds are held from time to time including a Choral Festival each May and a "Come and Sing" day each November.
- The church has a historic "Father Willis" organ from c1860 and a Pleyel small grand piano c1920 (belonging to a parishioner).